raw cows milk 12 l
thermophilic culture 1 pinch
brevibacterium linens 1 pinch
rennet 1 tsp
salt 35 g
prepare the curd
- add thermophilic culture and brevibacterium linens to the milk. stir thouroughly.
- heat the milk to 35° C. stirring often.
- wait 30 minutes.
- add rennet to milk. stir thouroughly.
- leave undisturbed for 1 hour.
- cut the resulting curd into 1 inch pieces.
- heat curd and whey to 40° C.
- wait 1 hour.
draining and pressing
- collect the curd in a cheese cloth. hang somewhere.
- wait for 4 hours.
- place the curd in a cylindrical form. the form interior should be roughly 18 cm (h) x 16 cm (w). or similar volume. place a 1kg weight on top.
- press the cheese for the next 12 hours or so. flip the cheese once every 1 to 2 hours. or, as you are able.
salt and aging
- at this point the cheese can be put in a 'cheese cave'. an environment about 12° C and greater than 80% humidity.
- before placing it in the cave, rub some of the salt on the top and sides.
- the cheese should be flipped once daily, for the entire duration of it's maturation.
- continue rubbing the cheese with salt each morning when the cheese is being flipped, until the 35g of salt is exhausted.
- it's important the salt is applied evenly on the surface of the cheese.
- let mature for at least 6 weeks.